The idea of self discipline is not a new one and yet what is it really? I love the quote on self discipline by Abraham J Herschel, “Self-respect is the fruit of discipline; the sense of dignity grows with the ability to say no to oneself.” We live in a world and culture of immediate gratification – always looking for the short-cut, the quick fix. When we do this – the idea of self respect and self discipline eludes us.
For those willing to delay gratification and move to higher levels of achievement here are a few recommendations:
- use systems and models to plan and schedule your time (daily, weekly, monthly)
- take small steps – how do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time.
- when you fail; forgive yourself AND learn from it – if you learn you don’t have to repeat it
- develop habits that will lead you to your success and goal
- be at cause – it’s all in your choices – chose wisely
- work with a coach or partner to keep you moving in the right direction
Regardless of the area in your life that may need some or MORE self discipline applying a few simple strategies will move you in the right direction. Take one strategy and implement then move to another. For more on self discipline check out “THE ONE THING” by Gary Keller.